Sunday, November 14, 2010

Unbelieveable 10 Grain Waffles w/ Raspberry-Mango Compote

You know how when you stay at a hotel that has a continental breakfast, you ALWAYS hope they have the waffle station?  I know I do!  Something about the crispy, light texture, and the sweet fruit topping that makes you feel like you've just gotten a GREAT deal!!  We all probably know how unhealthy those waffles are, with all that sugar from the fruit topping (not to mention the "whipped cream")...well, here's my take on that breakfast, minus all the sugar, oil, and unhealthy-ness...PLUS all of the flavor and sustaining nutrients that will keep you energized for your day!  P.s.-I'm actually eating these right now, as I blog this!! Yum!

-Prep your waffle maker so it's nice and hot for your batter

-In a bowl combine:

1 "egg" (an "eggs" worth of prepared egg replacer)
1 1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk
1/2 c. Bobs Red Mill 10 Grain Flour
1 c. King Arthurs White Whole Wheat Flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. sea salt
1 T. vanilla

-Mix all together to incorporate.

-With a 1/3 c. measuring cup, scoop onto hot, greased waffle maker.  Close, and wait until it indicates done-ness!  (I typically set mine to 4, and wait for the green light to come on!)

-Repeat until batter is gone.  I got around 6 with this recipe!

-Top with Raspberry-Mango Compote:

-In a small pot, combine:

1/2 c. raspberries (I used frozen)
1/2 c. mango (I used frozen)
3 T. water
1 t. fresh lime juice
2 T. agave

-Bring to a boil.  While you're waiting, combine:

1 t. whole wheat flour
1 t. water

-Whisk together until there are no lumps

-Once the fruit is boiling, add the flour and water mixture to thicken.  Stir quickly to avoid lumps.

-Using a potato masher, mash the fruit up (the raspberries won't really need it...it's mainly for the mangos)

-Done!  Drizzle on your waffles and enjoy!

-Note:  you can use pretty much any fruit for the compote...I've done blueberries, strawberries, raspberries...a combination of all mixed together...get creative!  Just make sure you get the unsweetened fruit!

2 comments:

  1. Had to use sweetened berry medly (because that what I had in my freezer). Sure beats butter and Mrs Butterworth's syrup :)

    ReplyDelete