Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Amazingly Easy No Yeast Bread

My sister, Summer called me one day to tell me she was trying out a new bread recipe that used no yeast!  Immediately I was intrigued, and if we're being honest, a little skeptical...that is, until she sent me a picture of her loaves, in all of their glory!  I promptly called her to get the recipe, and she proceeded to tell me how easy it was to make...no yeast, no kneading, no waiting for it to rise??  Are you kidding me?!  I made a double batch of this recipe (with a few minor changes) as my husband gave the kids a bath! By the time they were bathed and dressed, and I had cleaned my mess and swept the floors, the bread was done and ready to eat!  (and might I add, AMAZING in flavor!)

Preheat oven to 375

Here's what you'll need: 

8 c. flour (I used 5 c. oat flour and 3 c. Bobs Red Mill 10 Grain Flour...if you wanted, you could use all whole wheat.  My sister used a combination of 4 c. almond flour, 2 c. oat flour, and 2 c. whole wheat flour)
1 T. + 1 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
5 T. agave
4 T. blackstrap molasses
2 "eggs" (I used egg replacer, and she used a flax seed formula that equaled 2 eggs)
4 c. unsweetened almond milk
2 t. apple cider vinegar (not sure if it HAS to be apple cider vinegar, or just any ol' kind)
2 T. vital wheat gluten (the recipe didn't call for this, so you don't have to add it...but it's supposed to improve the texture of bread, so I usually throw some in when I'm baking it!)

-I prepared the egg replacer according to the instructions on the package, then threw everything else into a large mixing bowl, and stirred by hand until incorporated.  (I didn't use a hand held mixer because I didn't want to deactivate the rising agents)

-The "batter" isn't going to be like your typical bread dough...there's no way you could knead this...it's really sticky and wet still, so just divide it into 2 greased bread pans, and try to smooth out the tops as best as possible.

-This step isn't necessary, however, it makes the loaves look GORGEOUS, and like you really knew what you were doing!  Summer sprinkled old fashioned oats and chopped walnuts on the top of hers...I did sunflower seed, old fashioned oats, and wheat germ.  It just gives the loaves a little decoration!  Get creative!

-Bake for 35-45 minutes...I checked mine with a knife at 35 mins, and it wasn't done yet...Summ did the same, with the same result...so we both ended up baking it for the full 45 minutes.

-Done!  Easy!  Amazingly delicious!

-Note:  wait until the bread has cooled before cutting into it...I didn't, and it made a mess of the loaf!  Still tasted amazing though!

No comments:

Post a Comment