Friday, May 6, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Chik'n Stir fry

So my mom introduced me to these awesome little vegan chik'n strips made by Morning Star...they're amazing!  Great flavor, great texture, and my kids LOVE them!  Tonight is the real test of their awesome-ness...I made this stir fry for my husband, and I'm not telling him that the chicken is really chik'n! (aka-not real!) When coming up with this recipe, my goal was to come up with an amazing Asian dish, that even the harshest critic (aka-my meat loving husband!) would approve of...and you know what?  I think we have a winner!!  Sweet, spicy, chewy, juicy and crunchy, this dish has it all...not to mention it's loaded with protein, veggies, fruit, and can be served over rice or noodles!  How could anyone argue with that...but more importantly, it tastes so amazing, I'm thinking about taking this recipe to the nearest Asian restaurant and showing them how things are done!

In a saute pan over medium heat combine:

2 T. coconut oil
1 package Morning Star Meal Starter Chik'n Strips (I found them in the freezer section at my local grocery store)
3 T. low sodium soy sauce
1 T. chili garlic sauce (found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
1 t. ground ginger
3 T. agave
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 lime squeezed over everything

-Stir everything together until the chik'n is evenly coated and let saute for 5-7 minutes...occasionally stirring.

-Increase the heat to med/high and add:

1 T. sesame seeds
1 T. agave
1 T. sesame oil

-Toss everything to recoat, and do this from time to time just to make sure things are done nice and evenly...do this for another 3-5 minutes, then add:

1 c. fresh cut pineapple chunks
1 c. broccoli
1/2 c. frozen peas

-Toss again, frequently until broccoli is tender
-Serve over brown rice, rice noodles, or in a lettuce wrap!

-Note: Top with Chow Mein noodles, cashew pieces, mung bean sprouts, fresh cilantro...pick one or choose all of them!

-Note:  grab some vegetable spring rolls and make up a batch of the Spicy Sushi (http://vegmomrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/12/spicy-sushi.html) for a real Asian-inspired meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment