Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jalepeno Nacho "Cheese"

I'd have to say, since going vegan a few years ago, there is one food that haunts me...I just miss it, and that food would be cheese!  I loved cheese dearly, from plain old cheddar to goats cheese...didn't matter what it was on, or if it was plain, I loved it.  Knowing what I do about cheese, and how it's made, and how horrible it is for you, I don't have a hard time not eating it...except for maybe one time a year when we visit Wrigley Field to watch the Chicago Cubs play...somehow the game doesn't seem complete unless you're munching on a large order of stadium nachos, with a side of jalepenos!  This was my inspiration for making this "cheese"!  Although it's not exactly the same, this is about as close as you can get to a "queso" dip and still be completely vegan!  Even my husband loved it...and he is a hard core critic when it comes to food alternatives!

In a medium pan combine:

2 1/2 c. mimic creme (this is a nut-based cream that you'll have to find at a health food store...but it's the absolute closest thing I've found to real cream)
1 1/2 c. V8 (I used the low sodium, but you could also use the spicy!)
2 packets of low sodium taco seasoning
4 T. nutritional yeast (again, you'll have to go to the health food store for this ingredient...it's super high in B vitamins, along with a lot of other minerals...and it does a pretty good job of mimicking a cheese flavor)  If you have to get a big can of it, don't worry...I use it in a lot of my recipes, so you'll definitely be able to find a lot of uses for it!
1/2 t. chili powder
dash of cayenne pepper (this is optional, but adds a nice kick)


-Stirring frequently, so the bottom doesn't burn, bring to a light boil and add:

4 t. corn starch

-Whisk away the lumps, reduce the heat to low/med, and allow to thicken.

-Add:

1/2 c. chopped jalepenos
1/2 c. chopped roasted red peppers

-Note: some other add ins that would make a great dip would be:

black beans
1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
1 can of chopped green chiles, drained
saute some veggie meat crumbles in taco seasoning and add
salsa

-If you find your dip gets a little runny when you add in extra ingredients, just add a little more corn starch and thicken!!  Enjoy!  This makes about 4-5 cups of nacho sauce!!  If you don't think you'll eat all of that...I actually used half of it to top some enchiladas (you can find that in another blog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment