Thursday, October 28, 2010

Green Julia Smoothie

This is the most gorgeous smoothie you will ever see!  I ordered this smoothie when I was out with my sister and her husband, because the ingredients were so intriguing...let's just say this...if you need to trick your kids into eating spinach, here's the secret...put it in their smoothie!  Trust me, it tastes so incredible, that you'll be stealing drinks of theirs...I guarantee it!

This recipe will make about a full blender of this smoothie, and between my 2 girls and me, we drink it all!  If you're just doing this for yourself, cut the recipe in half, and have one today and one tomorrow...OR drink one now, and one later!!

What you need:

-2 bananas
-1 can of Thai Organic coconut milk (I don't get the reduced fat, because healthy fats are essential for good brain development, skin, hair, and cell management in your body...if you feel that you get plenty of good fats in your diet, feel free to use the reduced fat version of this milk, HOWEVER, it will be nowhere near as creamy!)
-1/2 c.-1 c. orange juice (something that's 100% juice, no sugar added)
-1 large bag of fresh spinach

Note:  Optional add ins that I use on a regular basis are:  ground raw sunflower seeds (for vitamin e and iron), 1/2 c. raw shredded coconut, 1/2 c. old fashioned oats, 1/8 c. flax seed, or any other kind of frozen fruit you may want to add.

I have actually weaned my kids off of the OJ in the smoothie, but if you're not picky about your kids having juice, that's cool too!  I just figured, if they'll drink it without the juice in it...that makes it even healthier!  Instead, I'll throw in 1 T. of agave nectar to sweeten it.

What to do:

Fill your blender with all of the ingredients except the spinach.  Put as much spinach in the blender as you can, and pulse until almost smooth.  Then add MORE spinach...until the blender is filled.  Pulse, and blend until smooth.  Your smoothie should be a gorgeous green color, and taste like an Orange Julius! (But WAY healthier, and no added sugar!)

Chill in the fridge, or serve over ice if you like your smoothies cold, but it's not necessary!

An idea:

When I have leftover smoothies, instead of throwing them away, I turn them into popsicles for the girls, and they think it's so cool when they get to have a popsicle whenever they want! (Not knowing that their popsicle actually is packed with vitamins, fiber, and minerals...AND spinach!!!)

1 comment:

  1. I do this same smoothie but without the spinach.. very interesting add in - will definately try it... and yes you are so right about the low fat coc. milk.. I made it with it one time and blah... did not like it at all, MUCH better with the Reg. version. : )
    Jill Spanding

    ReplyDelete