Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Ultimate Tempeh Sloppy Joe

Sloppy Joe, Slop-Sloppy Joes! (Adam Sandler anyone?!)  Sloppy Joes are about as American as the burger and Apple Pie...and I just couldn't view myself as a "proper" American if I didn't have some variation of this amazing comfort food in my diet!  Sweet, tangy, chewy, messy...this has all the components of a "real" Sloppy Joe...without a ton of fat, and without any animal parts in it...in my opinion, this is called a "no brainer"!  Even your meat-eating friends and family will fall in love with this...and instead of saying, "where's the beef"...they'll be saying, "who cares about the beef, just give me another one!"

The Tempeh:

Crumble 2 bricks of tempeh into a saute pan and add:

1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. chili powder
1 t. liquid smoke (probably optional, but it sure adds some nice flavor!)
1 t. low sodium soy sauce
2 T. blackstrap molasses
1/2 c. ketchup (I use OrganicVille brand, because there's no added sugar in it...it's the ONLY ketchup I've found out there that doesn't have sugar in it)
1/2 c. water
1 T. coconut oil

-Simmer slowly to incorporate the flavors

-In a separate pot combine:

1 3/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. blackstrap molasses
1/4 c. + 1 T. agave
1/4 c. water
1 T. low sodium soy sauce
1 t-1T. liquid smoke (depending on how smokey you want it)
2 T. yellow mustard
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. chili powder

-Simmer to incorporate flavors for 10-15 minutes

-Add tempeh, and simmer another 15 minutes at least...the longer you let it simmer, the better the flavor...just keep that in mind!

-Top toasted buns with Sloppy Joe Mix, and your favorite toppings...I LOVE banana peppers, and vegenaise mayo...but you could try lettuce, tomato, jalapenos, baked onion rings...be creative!

-Note:  if you leave out the tempeh...the sauce makes an AMAZING bbq sauce!

2 comments:

  1. Used this recipe to make a BBQ sauce and it was seriously the best BBQ sauce ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks, Marie!! So glad you enjoyed it! I made the bbq sauce to fit my personal taste...so it's great to know that others like it too!!!

    ReplyDelete